How can you make a difference in the DC Sail community?Members of DC Sail are an essential aspect of our vibrant and active organization. We welcome your energy and enthusiasm to assist with managing our nonprofit community sailing center through the gift of time and experience. There are several areas where our programming needs would benefit from your assistance.
Become one of our valued Member Volunteers.
Please Note: DC Sail Volunteers participating in on-the-water programs are required to be paid Basic, Super, Admiral, or Lifetime Level Members.
Instruct for DC Sail's Adult Lessons (Beginner, Intro to FJs, Refresher and Capsize Courses.)
2017 Volunteer Instructor Training Weekend - Saturday and Sunday, March 25th and March 26th - 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM (Mandatory Attendance for New Volunteer Instructors.)
Please be advised that the registration for the Training Weekend is now closed. If you have questions about our Volunteer Instructor program, please contact Brian McNally via email: email@example.com
Our instructors are dedicated and skilled volunteers who undergo annual training to bring the best quality sailing instruction to the water. Many of our instructors are US Sailing Certified Instructors and have sailed in all corners of the globe.
DC Sail's adult lessons are taught by highly trained, local volunteer instructors. DC Sail is always looking for volunteers to serve in this capacity! We host a mandatory training session at the beginning of each season, and there are opportunities for new instructors to join our team of volunteers throughout the season. DC Sail instructors receive a special membership rate with all the perks of a super membership.
Required qualifications for Volunteer Instructors:
- Relevant sailing experience
- Successful completion of the NASBLA approved District of Columbia Boating Safety Certification
- Ability to swim 75 yards while fully clothed
- Ability to exhibit appropriate interpersonal skills
- Participate in DC Sail training sessions
- Sign up for a Shiftboard account through www.shiftboard.com with DC Sail
- Become a DC Sail member at the Instructor rate
- A great attitude and a desire to have fun!
- US Sailing Small Boat Sailing
- US Sailing Safe Powerboat Handling Certification
If you're interested in becoming a Volunteer Instructor, email Brian McNally.
- Current CPR and First Aid Certifications
Volunteer Crew Aboard "American Spirit"
Update: 2017 Volunteer Crew Training - Potential training date to be scheduled in May.
DC Sail's schooner, the "American Spirit", conducts ticketed and private cruises on weekends and weekdays throughout the April - October sailing season. As Volunteer Crew, it is a great way to learn more about big boat sailing, get out on the water in the evenings, and help DC Sail! In order to become a crew member you must participate in the training which occurs at the beginning of the season OR observe at least two cruises as a paid passenger.
Volunteer Crew positions require solid sailing skills/knowledge and paid membership with DC Sail at the Basic, Instructor, Super, Lifetime, or Admiral levels.
Please contact the DC Sail Business office for more information about getting involved with the American Spirit Schooner. Phone: 202.547.1250.
Events and Marketing DC Sail is in need of volunteers to help coordinate current events and plan for new events and fundraising events.
Have a background in marketing, event planning or advertising? DC Sail needs your help! Our volunteers assist DC Sail staff in implementing all marketing and event planning efforts. Assistance is needed in the following areas:
- Setting up booths to advertise at local festivals
- Guerrilla Marketing: print out DC Sail flyers and post them where you work, eat, play, live!
Please email Traci Mead if you would like to get involved.
- Provide "Shore Support" with merchandise sales, raffle ticket sales, check in area, etc., during our Annual Fundraising Event: Cantina Cup Regatta -Date TBD. Volunteer registration will be posted in early summer.
Once you learn the ropes around DC Sail maintenance needs, you can come down to the dock to assist during our hosted maintenance sessions. These organized maintenance sessions are scheduled throughout the year. Please see calendar links below for any upcoming Boat Maintenance Sessions.